I am an Active Duty Soldier….
1. APPLY TO UNC: The first thing to concentrate on is getting accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill. In order to increase your chances for acceptance, apply as an early decision enrollee. Use the following website: http://www.admissions.unc.edu/Apply/First_Year_Students/default.html . Follow all instructions at this site and call the admissions office (919-966-3621) with any questions. To better understand the caliber of people that are accepted to UNC please view the class profile: http://www.admissions.unc.edu/Academics/Class_Profile_and_Rankings/default.html
2. MEET GREEN TO GOLD REQUIREMENTS: The Army ROTC Green to Gold Programs seek talented young enlisted soldiers who have decided to: Leave, or are considering leaving, active duty to attend college to earn baccalaureate degrees and commission as second lieutenants. Remain on active duty to attend college to earn baccalaureate degrees and commission as second lieutenants. Quality enlisted soldiers with officer potential who have served at least two years on active duty are allowed to voluntarily participate and enroll in Army ROTC. The National Scholarship Board meets on or about 1 APRIL of every year. Completed packets are due by then through your chain of command.
•Age – Under 30 years old on 30 JUN of the year you commission (waivers can be granted)
• PMS can grant waiver up to 32 years
• For those over 32, waiver requested
• Have a favorable recommendation from Chain of Command.
• Have Completed 2 years of College and be accepted as an Academic Junior
• Have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale
Green to Gold Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
• U.S. Citizen (non-waiverable)
• Age – Be under 31 years of age on 31 December of the year you complete all requirements for a commission and a college baccalaureate degree. This is a statutory requirement and there are no waivers authorized.
• Cannot have been convicted of a Domestic Violence Crime
• Have a minimum of 2 years Active Duty as well as 3 months of active duty for every one month of specialized training (waiver can be requested)
• GT score of 110 or greater
• Pass the APFT within the last 6 months with score of 180 or higher, minimum of 60 points in each event
• Be a High School Graduate or equivalent
• Cumulative High School or College GPA of 2.5
• Letter of Acceptance to School of Choice offering Army ROTC
• Letter of Acceptance from the PMS of that Army ROTC Battalion
• Favorable National Agency Check (or have initiated the action)
• DODMERB Medical Qualification
• Be eligible to Reenlist
• Not be a conscientious objector
• No more than 3 dependents including spouse (waiverable)
Following graduation, ROTC cadets are required to serve in the active component of the U.S. Army.
Scholarship Program Participants
– All scholarship students will be required to serve in the military for a period of eight years. This obligation may be fulfilled by serving four years on active duty, followed by four years service in the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR).
Non-Scholarship Program Participants
– Non-Scholarship graduates may serve three years on active duty and five years in the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR).
If you are selected for Green to Gold, you may obtain early release from active duty. Army Regulation 635-200, Chapter 16-2, provides for the honorable, early discharge of soldiers so they can enroll in an Army Senior ROTC program.
The Early Discharge may be up to 30 days prior to the start of school. Terminal leave is NOT authorized.
To Qualify for Early Discharge:
– You must meet the requirements of the Green to Gold program.
– The separation authority must ensure that you meet the criteria, have served honorably and possess officer attributes.
– You must agree to the stipulations of the terms of the USAR enlistment contract or ROTC student contract. Otherwise, you will be in breach of your contract and subject to involuntary order to active duty to complete the prior service remaining and/or the scholarship contractual obligation. If you are a scholarship cadet, you may be required to repay the scholarship benefits received in lieu of active duty service.
2. APPLY FOR GREEN TO GOLD SCHOLARSHIP: If you meet all the requirements for the Green to Gold program the next step is to apply to the program by visiting http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/green_to_gold_scholarship.jsp and following the instructions on the site.
Green to Gold Scholarship Option Program
Green to Gold Non-Scholarship Option Program
2-Year Bachelors (Academic Junior)
Green to Gold Active Duty Option Program
3. GET ACCEPTED TO UNC CHAPEL HILL: Once you have been accepted to UNC you must call the UNC Army ROTC department (919-962-7347) to verify the status of your Green to Gold scholarship.